Sacred Heart Home & School Event Today!

Screenshot 2014-04-05 07.31.19 REMEMBERING SACRED HEART Event at borough hall will recall orphanage known as Sacred Heart Home and School.

Dr. John (Jack) Felch talks about the home with video

Read more: http://www.mcall.com/news/local/southernlehigh/mc-coopersburg-sacred-heart-exhibit-20140403,0,2344097.story#ixzz2y0gQ4BA8

REMEMBERING THE SACRED HEART HOME AND SCHOOL EVENT
WHERE? At the Coopersburg Historical Society Borough Hall located at 5 N. Main St. Coopersburg, PA 18036
WHEN? Saturday afternoon, 1 to 3 PM, April 5, 2014.
Questions to coopersburghistory@gmail.com or 610-554-7908.
Our facebook page is Coopersburg Historical Society.
In our planning, we have heard from former students and residents from as far away as Florida, and from friends as near as Mike “the Barber” Fenimore. Vince Kline donated a slew of newspaper articles about the home that he’s collected over the years. It is the generosity of people like these that has enabled us to record this time in our history with a book on DVD and an installation for our Museum. Guest Speakers: Monsignor John Grabish, Pastor at Sacred Heart Parish in Allentown. Dr. John (Jack) Felch, Coopersburg Borough Council President and Society board member.
Grabish and Felch will both speak at Saturday’s event. Felch said he plans to address the future of the schoolMsgr. Grabish has authored a book on the Sacred Heart religious community, including the churches, nuns, hospitals and schools. In fact, there is one full chapter dedicated to the Coopersburg Home. Msgr. John Grabish of Sacred Heart Parish is planning to share some of his insight. His recent book about the Sacred Heart activity includes a full chapter dedicated to the Home and School. Dr. Jack Felch and his wife are the homeowners of the Cooper mansion, which served as the main building for the Sacred Heart Home and School. Please join us on this Saturday afternoon for a first look at our new collection. We’ll have on display some photographs, written histories and other memorabilia. Bring your own material to show. We will gratefully accept any remembrances or articles you might like to donate to this project.On Saturday, the Coopersburg Historical Society will hold a two-hour exhibit at borough hall recalling the history of the home, which closed in 1974 after 36 years of sheltering children of all races and faiths. “We’ll have insiders there and outsiders,” Kent said, using the common terms for the orphans — insiders — and the youngsters who attended Sacred Heart’s parochial school and went home at the end of the day. We’ll gather together, residents and neighbors, show some photos, share stories and renew friendships. Everything we learn and collect will be stored in our museum. We will also produce a DVD. Please let us know if you would be interested in attending and if you can contribute stories and photos. We’d like to make copies of all.

 

Advertisements

History of Sacred Heart Home and School

homeless kids home

Sacred Heart Home History

1938-1974

 The Dormitory was built and the home and School operated for 35 years.
The Cooper homestead at 600 S. Main Street became famous for the annual Jersey Cattle Sales, nationally and internationally. During those events, the town was filled with buyers from all over the globe. The Linden Grove Sales Pavilion across the street from the house was constructed to allow sales to continue during inclement weather. The Pavilion’s unique open structure and its significance to the area have helped it to be placed on the National Register of Historic Places. When cattle sales were seriously curtailed during the Depression, the large property with its buildings and fields was sold off. The mansion became a Catholic orphanage. It later found new use as Pinebrook Junior College. This old landmark of the Cooper family has been fully restored in 2001.
http://www.coopersburgborough.org/history.htm

TIMELINE:

  • 1899~ The Sacred Heart Order Originated in Germany .
  • 1908~The sisters came to this country as teaching nuns.
  • 1927- The idea for the home began with Msgr. Leo G, Fink of sacred Heart Parish in Allentown
  •  1938,May 2Philadelphia Diocese of the Sacred Heart Church  purchased the Cooper mansion. Col. Coopers estate sold the property to Msgr. Fink for $15,000 . It included 24 acres, a mansion, another dwelling and a large barn.The nuns from Reading PA staffed the Orphanage. The Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart staffed the orphanage since the beginning in 1938.
  • 1938, Oct. 9~ The home was dedicated , for the care of dependent and neglected children regardless of race, creed or color. It was turned over to the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart to operate. It started with 4 nuns and 6 orphaned and half-orphaned children
  • 1939?~The main building was hit by a $10,000 fire .
  • 1940’s- Dining room and dorm built . 91 children
  • 1949~A twister ripped off sections of the barn roof. Classes were held in the barn until 1950 when the new school was built.
  •  1950- A new school and dorm added
  • 1951~ new chapel built
  •  1958– Gymnasium opened. Gym built capacity of 1200
  • 1961? ~new caretaker dwelling built.
  • 1963- 131 children,mid-1960’s they stopped taking preschool children
  • 1972, September–  the school part closed, so the remaining children attended Assumption Parochail school in Colesville. They stopped taking 7th and 8th graders because it was felt that age needed a father figure.
  •  1974, June -Home ceases operation.The State Regulations forced the home to close because there were too few children being housed. Monsignor David B. Thompson , vicar general of Allentown Catholic Diocese confirmed that  the Sacred Heart Home in Coopersburg will close after 35 years due to lack of staff and children. There were 7 nuns and 31 children left there at the time of closing. The problem seemed to be a new trend of placing children into foster homes and women no longer becoming nuns.
  •  1976- Pinbrook Jr.College purchased the property
  • 1992– Pinebrook moved out Pinebrook Junior College moved from the property in 1992. The date listed (1985) on the timeline is in question — noted with a question mark. Clyde W. Snyder, was employed at the college as art teacher. The last class to be graduated was in May 1992.
  • 1985-present- Left to rot. Lack of public sewage has prevented development ever since. The front house( convent) is a private residence.
  • 2010- A guy from cityline said that they were turning the place into a firehouse training center.
  • 2014– still standing but in bad shape.Plans to make it into a condominium. Read the Morning Call Article

cropped-home-postcard1.jpg