Sacred Heart Home History
- 1899~ The Sacred Heart Order Originated in Germany .
- 1908~The sisters came to this country as teaching nuns.
- 1927- The idea for the home began with Msgr. Leo G, Fink of sacred Heart Parish in Allentown
- 1938,May 2–Philadelphia Diocese of the Sacred Heart Church purchased the Cooper mansion. Col. Coopers estate sold the property to Msgr. Fink for $15,000 . It included 24 acres, a mansion, another dwelling and a large barn.The nuns from Reading PA staffed the Orphanage. The Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart staffed the orphanage since the beginning in 1938.
- 1938, Oct. 9~ The home was dedicated , for the care of dependent and neglected children regardless of race, creed or color. It was turned over to the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart to operate. It started with 4 nuns and 6 orphaned and half-orphaned children
- 1939?~The main building was hit by a $10,000 fire .
- 1940’s- Dining room and dorm built . 91 children
- 1949~A twister ripped off sections of the barn roof. Classes were held in the barn until 1950 when the new school was built.
- 1950- A new school and dorm added
- 1951~ new chapel built
- 1958– Gymnasium opened. Gym built capacity of 1200
- 1961? ~new caretaker dwelling built.
- 1963- 131 children,mid-1960’s they stopped taking preschool children
- 1972, September– the school part closed, so the remaining children attended Assumption Parochail school in Colesville. They stopped taking 7th and 8th graders because it was felt that age needed a father figure.
- 1974, June -Home ceases operation.The State Regulations forced the home to close because there were too few children being housed. Monsignor David B. Thompson , vicar general of Allentown Catholic Diocese confirmed that the Sacred Heart Home in Coopersburg will close after 35 years due to lack of staff and children. There were 7 nuns and 31 children left there at the time of closing. The problem seemed to be a new trend of placing children into foster homes and women no longer becoming nuns.
- 1976- Pinbrook Jr.College purchased the property
- 1992– Pinebrook moved out Pinebrook Junior College moved from the property in 1992. The date listed (1985) on the timeline is in question — noted with a question mark. Clyde W. Snyder, was employed at the college as art teacher. The last class to be graduated was in May 1992.
- 1985-present- Left to rot. Lack of public sewage has prevented development ever since. The front house( convent) is a private residence.
- 2010- A guy from cityline said that they were turning the place into a firehouse training center.
- 2014– still standing but in bad shape.Plans to make it into a condominium. Read the Morning Call Article